Thursday, November 25, 2010

Mum's cactus flower



How's this for a cactus flower?!?
My mother has this type of cactus growing in a pot on her balcony and recently potted a piece for me. She can't remember where she got it from but thinks that Dad might have brought it home from an elderly lady's garden in Flemington. Any ideas on what it is?


                         Update from Ivy  (see "Ivy's garden"). This apparently is an Orchid Cactus: EPIPHYLLUM. They are jungle dwellers, needing semi shade and a rich fast draining compost of sand peat and leaf mould. They strike easily from cuttings (as per the example above). Good in large pots or hanging baskets. Slugs and snails love them so keep watch!
G.

2 comments:

  1. First post! Well done, nice flower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done G. I have never been part of blogging before so thank you for the introduction. I do not have wonderful unusual or exotic flowers to contribute but will watch with interest. I have had some long 'mindful' looks at my little veg patch this past week, in between the showers. It has only been in situ for just over a week and I love the idea that I can go out over the next months and pick my own little leaves and edibles and not have to worry about any undesirable additives. Good luck with your blog and I look forward to following your gardening adventures and contributions from others. C.

    ReplyDelete